Contributors

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Focus on Hunger: Cory Booker Goes on Food Stamps

  • For those who don't have enough food--there is a new ally bringing attention to the cause.  
  • For those who don't understand the issue--Cory Booker wants to help you learn more (below).
  • For those who want to help-- RSVP can connect you to volunteer opportunities working to end hunger. For more info: Call Jyni, 952-945-4162 or Email Jyni.

A Movement Toward Food Justice

Posted on LinkedIn by Cory Booker, the mayor of Newark, NJ:


This morning, I will begin living on a food budget of $30 a week / $4.32 per day.  This is the financial equivalent of the budget provided to people participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps, in the State of New Jersey.  I will live only on a SNAP equivalent food budget for the next seven days.
Undertaking what is referred to as the #SNAPChallenge began with a social media-based conversation on Twitter.  A Twitter user tweeted me her opinion that "nutrition is not the responsibility of the government".  This comment caused me to reflect on the families and children in my community who benefit from SNAP assistance and deserve deeper consideration.  In my own quest to better understand the outcomes of SNAP assistance, I suggested to this specific Twitter user that we both live on a SNAP equivalent food budget for a week and document our experience.
A simple conversation on Twitter drew me into the #SNAPChallenge I am beginning today.  My goals for the #SNAPChallenge are to raise awareness and understanding of food insecurity; reduce the stigma of SNAP participation; elevate innovative local and national food justice initiatives and food policy; and, amplify compassion for individuals and communities in need of assistance.  Over the next seven days, I plan to highlight the voices of people involved in local food policy, the SNAP program, and other related initiatives. 
As I begin this journey, I am doubling down on my commitment to the Food Justice Movement that is gaining awareness and participation in this country.  We have much work to do at the local level to address a legacy of structural inequities in the American food system.  As more and more working people and families - many holding down more than one job - face greater and greater challenges to juggle housing, medical, and transportation costs, meeting nutritional needs becomes a serious problem and a social justice issue.  The struggle of children, seniors, and families to have access to essential nutrition is a struggle we are all invested in and we all benefit when families succeed. Now more than ever we are all in this together.
Throughout this week, I will document my #SNAPChallenge experiences and reflections on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and through video on #waywire.  If you are interested in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, I encourage you to click the reference links below. 
REFERENCE LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment